As I listened to a talk last week the word Mastery captured my attention. As business owners we know that strategy is vital for success. It charts the course and sets the direction. But, we also know that so often our goals never take off because they are drowned by all of the other competing interests.
To build a solid reputation with yourself and others, to earn more money, and to ensure business success requires the enforcement and mastery of self-discipline, self-control and self-awareness.
Create that power with these ideas:
- Mastery takes focus and how you approach your work is key. It’s about taking responsibility for your own life. It’s about focus on that extraordinary, alive part of you that wants something more, that takes you beyond simply doing the work. It is expressing to everyone around you the uniqueness and the vitality that lives within you and you want to share.
- In Mastery, excellence is paramount. No matter how brilliant your plan or how important your goal, nothing will happen until you follow through with consistent action. As business owners we are all responsible for consistent and never ending performance. These are the practices that drive accountability and follow through, despite a whirlwind of competing priorities.
- Mastery is about making a difference by understanding your impact on others. How do you make other people feel? It happens by the way you look, the way you talk and listen, the way you respond, your physical presence, even by what people have heard about you. You do that by being well-informed, up to date, open to new ideas, listening to your customers and willing to make changes. By seeking to understand your impact on others you can learn much about yourself and about relationships.
- In Mastery, every ingredient counts. No matter how you define performance excellence, it will always include exceptional quality, meticulous attention to details, uncompromising standards,and superior craftsmanship fueled by love and passion. Results are the product of the mastery of habits and activities. From start to finish, the distinguishing characteristics of success are found in the details.
- Mastery isn’t about money. Mastery offers a profoundly important message for running a great business and for enjoying a fulfilling quality of life. It is about self-awareness, profound service, and living your purpose. When you are enjoying the journey you are having what you need to thrive and live life on your terms.
- Mastery is a state of consciousness. Certainly, without real results, mastery would ring hollow. But the most important goal you could hope to accomplish in the course of your life is to become an excellent person in every respect…one who has the courage to pursue their dreams. Personal Mastery is one of those priceless rewards…a gift you give to yourself, and a gift that keeps on giving.
What I challenged myself to look at and challenge you to think about is are we pursuing Mastery in all areas of our lives which can only serve our businesses to a “powerful degree?”